Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Saturday, April 18, 2009

12th Week of My Development

How do I look now on the final week of the 1st trimester of my mom's pregnancy?

My face is changing, as facial features shift closer to their correct position. The placenta, my life-support system, is fully functional. It provides me nutrients and removes waste.

I will begin to take on more of a normal appearance as the eyes move closer together and the ears move closer to their final position. My intestines have grown so fast that they actually extend into the umbilical cord, but they will begin to move back into the abdomen. My kidneys can now secrete urine, and the nervous system is continuing to mature.

Even though my body is still growing quite rapidly, the overall super-speedy growth of my amazing brain continues to leave my head proportionately larger than my body— and is actually slightly more than one third of my total body mass. My head and neck are still straightening at this point as can be seen by their little chin lifting off of the chest.

This week I weighs about 2/3 of an ounce (15 grams) and is about 3 inches (7 cm) long. I am completely engulfed in amniotic fluid at this point. This fluid is about 1.5 ounces in volume. I am also actively rehearsing “breathing” by using amniotic fluid to prepare my lungs for future air respiration.

The big news: I am now officially going to need diapers! Although a majority of the waste produced is transferred to my mom’s system for discharge (to avoid having it linger in the amniotic sac), some urine is released to the amniotic fluid and I will actually breathe it in before it passing it on to my mom for discharge. Not to worry, urine--in this particular form, is completely harmless to me.

Did you know that I already acquired more reflexes?: Such as touching my palms, makes my fingers close, touching the soles of my feet, makes the toes curl down and touching my eyelids makes my eye muscles clench. Amazing!!

Friends, see you soon!!

P.S.

I am essentially fully formed now, everything has appeared - right down to the tiny vocal cords!, All that remains to be done now is to grow and develop.

What to expect this week: Watch out for the recording of my heartbeat

"For behold, the instant the sound of your salutation reached my ears, the baby in my womb leaped for joy." - Luke 1:44


Image from: http://ukfamily.co.uk/ages-stages/pregnancy-birth/your-pregnancy/whats-happening/week-12-baby.html

2 comments:

  1. Hi Bro,

    I'm sure you'll be a great father to Gabby as you adore the baby so much as early as now. Keep that love burning for your family and God will meet all your needs.

    Sis. Irma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sis Irma,

    Thanks a lot, so excited to see our Gabby...6 months to go.

    Pls. pray for us as always

    Ricky

    ReplyDelete