Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Sunday, July 12, 2009

24th Week of My Development

An important milestone this week – I am now viable. In other words, I have a good (around 40 per cent) chance of survival, with medical help, if I was born right now. Nevertheless, with every day that passes, my lungs mature a little more and my chances of survival get better.

I am growing steadily, having gained about 4 ounces since last week. That puts me at just over a pound. Since I am almost a foot long (picture an ear of corn), I cuts a pretty lean figure at this point, but my body is filling out proportionally and I'll soon start to plump up. My brain is also growing quickly now, and my taste buds are continuing to develop. My lungs are developing "branches" of the respiratory "tree" as well as cells that produce surfactant, a substance that will help my air sacs inflate once I hits the outside world.

My skin is still thin and translucent, but that will start to change soon. It will thicken and become padded with fat until it's opaque.
I am very active because I still has plenty of room to move around inside my mom. with her blood vessels, bones and organs visible through it, but over the coming weeks

Did you know that my eyelids will open properly around now, and I'll begin to experience rapid eye movement (REM) sleep – the state associated with dreaming. Amazing!!!

Friends, see you soon!!!

P.S. I'll be sharing with you in the next couple of days my latest video inside my mom's womb (Dad is still editing it)

Image from: http://www.babycenter.com/fetal-development-images-24-weeks

No comments:

Post a Comment