Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Monday, May 11, 2009

15th Week of My Development

At 15 weeks, the bones in my ear that are responsible for hearing are developing, and my taste buds are sprouting, too. From now on, I will get a flavour of whatever my mom eat via the amniotic fluid. I swallow more amniotic fluid if it tastes sweet, and less if it's bitter – pass the biscuits!
My skin has been continuously developing, and it is so thin and translucent that you can see the blood vessels through it. Hair growth continues on my eyebrows and the head. Internally, my skeletal system continues to develop. I am also gaining more control of my movements; playing with the umbilical cord and snuggling up to the wall of the uterus.
I'm busy moving amniotic fluid through my nose and upper respiratory tract, which helps the primitive air sacs in my lungs begin to develop. I will probably get regular bouts of hiccups from now on, which help my lungs prepare for breathing but I don't make any sound because the trachea is filled with fluid rather than air.
This week sees a period of my rapid growth, with me starting to lay down fat under my mom's skin. My sex organs are maturing, and a highly skilled sonographer might be able to tell my gender at this point.
I am now measures about 4 inches long, crown to rump, and weighs in at about 2 1/2 ounces (about the size of an apple). My legs are growing longer than my arms now, and I can move all of my joints and limbs. Although my eyelids are still fused shut, I can sense light. If you shine a flashlight at my mom's tummy, for instance, I am likely to move away from the beam.
Did you know that my heart is now pumping about 25 quarts of blood per day.
Friends, see you soon!!

No comments:

Post a Comment