Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Monday, August 24, 2009

30th Week of My Development

It's a busy week for me. My bone marrow takes over production of red blood cells meaning I'll be better able to cope on my own when I'm born. I can also recognise mom's voice as distinct from other people's. Research has shown that the fetal heart rate slows down when the mother speaks, suggesting that babies not only hears and recognises their mothers' voice but is also calmed by it.
I am about 15.7 inches long now, and I weighs almost 3 pounds (like a head of cabbage). My growth in length will slow down, but I'll continue to gain weight and as that happens the volume of amniotic fluid that surrounds me, which is currently about 750ml, will gradually decrease. Also, the fine, downy hair (lanugo) that has covered my body is beginning to disappear as my fat stores increase and help to regulate my body temperature.
My eyesight continues to develop, though it's not very keen; even after I'm born, I'll keep my eyes closed for a good part of the day. When I do open them, I'll respond to changes in light but will have 20/400 vision — which means I can only make out objects a few inches from my face. (Normal adult vision is 20/20.)
My first poo, known as meconium, is being formed in the intestines – it's made up of various waste products including lanugo, mucus, amniotic fluid and old skin cells. I'll pass in it the first 24 hours or so after birth, and it will be dark green and sticky!. That's all for now
Did you know that by 30 weeks I have the ability to produce tears?. Amazing!!!

Friends, see you soon!!!



Image from: http://www.babycenter.com/fetal-development-images-30-weeks

No comments:

Post a Comment