Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Monday, August 31, 2009

31st Week of My Development

This week, I measures over 16 inches long. I weighs about 3.3 pounds and is heading into a growth spurt. During the next several weeks I will really begin to put on the weight. Remember the average size of a newborn is about 7 ½ pounds and 19 to 21 inches long. I am continuing to develop a layer of fat under my skin. This is in preparation for my arrival into the world and gives me more of a newborn appearance.
I can turn my head from side to side, and my arms, legs, and body are beginning to plump out as needed fat accumulates underneath my skin. I'm probably moving a lot, too, so mom may have trouble sleeping because my kicks and somersaults keep her up. (Take comfort mom: All this moving is a sign that I am active and healthy)
My lungs are fully developed this week, although they're not mature yet. I'll be 'breathing' rhythmically now though, although occasionally I will swallow some down the wrong way and get hiccups, which mom can feel.
The brain connections that control sensory input are forming now. My bones are fully developed (although still soft) and I'll begin building up my own stores of iron and calcium. It's possible that I will turn into a head down position in preparation for birth, although some babies leave it until the very last minute.
Did you know that my weight gain is rapid – and may now increase by anywhere from 175 – 300g a week.

Friends see you soon!!!


Image from: http://www.babycenter.com/fetal-development-images-31-weeks

No comments:

Post a Comment