Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

33rd Week of My Development

This week, I weighs a little over 4 pounds and has passed the 17-inch mark. I am rapidly losing that wrinkled, alien look and my skeleton is hardening. The bones in my skull aren't fused together, which allows them to move and slightly overlap, thus making it easier for me to fit through the birth canal. (The pressure on the head during birth is so intense that many babies are born with conehead-like appearance). These bones don't entirely fuse until early adulthood, so they can grow as my brain and other tissue expands during infancy and childhood.
My skin has changed from a reddish colour to pink and will be smoother now as I continues to lay down fat. I may grow over an inch in length this week and there's probably more baby than amniotic fluid in my mom's womb now. As a result, she'll feel every prod or kick I makes more than ever!
My immune system is able to give me protection from mild infections. I am still receiving antibodies from my mom, which are important, and will continue to do so after birth through breastfeeding. I may be in a head down position ready for birth now.
Did you know that the connections in my brain are developing in huge numbers this week, and I may now be able to coordinate sucking and swallowing with breathing.

Friends see you soon!!!

Image from: http://www.babycenter.com/fetal-development-images-33-weeks

No comments:

Post a Comment