Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

18th Week of My Development

At 18 weeks, I am about 6.3 inches long (16 cm) (head to rump) and weighs almost 7 ounces (200 grams).
A protective covering called myelin is beginning to form around my nerves. This covering will continue to form up until my first birthday.
If I am a little girl, my fallopian tubes and uterus have positioned themselves into the correct place. If I am a little boy, then my genitals may be noticed on the next ultrasound. However, many babies do not like to cooperate during the ultrasound and the genitals cannot be seen. Well, I am one of them, I covered my genitals with my hand and crossed my legs during the ultrasound. Sorry, mom and dad better luck next time.
I will become more sensitive to sound as the bones which pass the sound to the inner ear harden. The part of my brain that sends and receives nerve signals from my ears are also developing now so I reacts to loud sounds and can kick or prod in reaction. If a loud noise is made near my mom, I will raise my hands to cover my ears. I can even jump in the stomach or bury myself to hide from the noise. The good news is I will get used to familiar sounds such as the beating of my mom's heart, familiar voices in my surroundings, other daily routine sounds and blood rushing through my umbilical cord.

I move most of the time now and give lots of punches and kicks with my hands and feet. My mom should almost certainly feel it this week.

Chest muscles develop further to allow breathing when born and the small cavities that will become fully working lungs begin to develop more rapidly into the final product.

Did know that this week I will master the art of sticking my tongue out? Amazing!!



No comments:

Post a Comment