Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

21st Week of My Development

I now entered the second half of my development and here's what I just accomplished this week:
Mom feels like I am practicing martial arts as my initial fluttering movements turn into full-fledged kicks and nudges. Dad on the other hand haven't got a chance to feel my movement because whenever he touches my mom's belly I stopped or move away (Don't worry dad, In a few weeks you can feel my movement without taking much effort :D). Mom may also discover a pattern to my activity as she get to know me better. However, towards the end of this trimester I will begin to settle, usually in a head down position.
In other developments, my eyebrows and lids are fully developed and if I am a girl, my vagina has begun to form as well. Rapid eye movements begin at twenty-one weeks and I can hear when she talk or sing to me now. Swallowing, which is believed to help my digestive system function after birth, continues at this point. My heart is growing stronger. Fat continues to accumulate now and my bones and muscles are getting stronger each day.
My lungs are still growing. Bronchi and bronchioles enlarge and even early alveoli in my lungs begin to form. Studies show that I am actually able to distinguish taste in the fifth month! You might wonder how this is even possible to know this early in pregnancy. Well, scientists have discovered this by adding a sweetener to the amniotic fluid in the uterus, which caused the babies to swallow twice as fast! Clearly we are "pre-wired" to prefer sweets even before we are born!
I now opens and closes my mouth regularly, drinking the amniotic fluid. The waste products are passed back through the umbilical cord and into my mom's bloodstream for her kidneys to dispose of.
I now weighs about 3/4 pounds (360 grams) and 10.5 inches (27 cm) in length. My rapid growth that has happened over the last few weeks will slow down now. Every week increases my chances of survival outside of the womb now.
By now, most people can probably tell that my mom is pregnant. Her body is changing rapidly as I grows.
Did you know that I have a favourite sleeping position?. Scans have shown that some unborn babies like to tuck their chin into their chest, clasp their hands under their chin or tilt their head back when they have a snooze. Amazing!

Friends, see you soon!!!
Gabby

No comments:

Post a Comment